Friday, February 13, 2009

So, hi.

For years I've heard about "blogging." And for years I've avoided it. It seemed to me to be a mix of scrapbooking and journaling...both of which I am lousy at and do not enjoy.

I remember visiting one of those crazy scrapbooking stores in the mall where every item in the universe was depicted in either a sticker or a stamp. Despite how overwhelming it was...for one hour, I was convinced that perhaps I could become one - a scrapbooker. I purchased more stickers that day than I ever earned in gradeschool, got myself scrapbooking paper and even a scrapbook.

The result? Family, friends, travels, and a wedding later those stickers and momentos from that initial purchase are nowhere to be found. Instead, pictures from the past are stuffed in shoe boxes, along with love notes, cards, maps, ticket stubs, metro passes, etc. The biggest day of my life exists on a cd and dvd - the cd of pictures, I don't even know where it is...maybe mom has it?!?! The DVD, thank heaven for the Erickson's who captured our reception on video and made a beautiful compilation of the events that evening.

Every Christmas, I'm given a journal. I have probably 10 - 15 empty journals, collecting dust on my book shelf...symbolizing years lost.

I think I've made the point; I've enjoyed life, but I haven't savored it.

Which brings me to this blog. Over a year ago I started a blog - nothing was on it - but I registered one. It was supposed to be the forum for my new hobby at the time: photo journalism. While I had both the film and digital SLRs, I didn't get around to the most important part - learning to use them. Pictures were never taken and well, I forgot about that blog I registered.

But recently, my interest has been piqued. I have several friends that write incredibly entertaining blogs - I admire their candor, wit and intelligence. While, I in no way intend to be anywhere near as entertaining as any of them - I can at least get off my duff and try.

So, let me introduce myself. My name is Valerie, and while I'd like to think I am as beautiful, romantic and sophisticated as Valerie suggests...please, call me val.

6 comments:

  1. Very Nice to meet you, Val.
    Much love from a girl named J.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. let me be the first ever to comment on the brand-spankin new valerie payette blog. let me just tell you that you are not the only one that thought of blogging as just another way for mormon women or any women for that matter to scrapbook and write a journal. i had no idea why anyone would want to read my journal. who cares that luke said hi twice today? i didn't get it.
    i also thought i needed to jump on the scrapbooking train in order to be "cool" or welcome in the land of creativity. i, sadly am no scrapbooker, no photographer, not a great journal-writer (aka haven't been faithful since BEFORE i married andy and my once grandiose dreams of filling a baby book for luke turned into about 10 pages done and many a picture not taken).
    the blog is a great remedy to you and i's malady. good luck in your endeavors and now that this comment is about as long as your entry, i'll sign off now...
    ps is my blog one of the "incredibly entertaining" ones you mentioned? it is, isn't it? what can i say :)
    have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you like blogging...it is definitely fun to read other peoples blogs =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go newbie blogger! I am now a follower, so I will keep you accountable. Hmm, on second thought, if I do that, then you'll ask me about how my blog is going. I have one too (http://findingprovidence.blogspot.com/) but haven't posted anything since I dunno, October? Ooops. Love ya mucho.

    ReplyDelete