Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Man in the Moon - Or Kitchen Window

This past weekend I went “home” to Spokane to visit my mom and grandparents. Every time I visit, I’m filled with memories of growing up in that house and neighborhood. These memories are oftentimes pleasant, but sometimes embarrassing and awkward. This past weekend one vivid memory in particular seemed to come to mind – and let’s just say it could be classified under “embarrassingly awkward.”

Growing up I was obsessed with space, like most kids are. I was convinced that I’d go to Space Camp. Christmas after Christmas I would ask to be sent to Space Camp for the summer – this request along with the request to have a power wheels jeep to drive around in, never came to fruition. However, when I was eleven my dad gave me a telescope for Christmas. It wasn’t anything fabulous – but I thought it was the greatest thing ever (I really did Dad!). The first night, I went out ready to see into the far depths of the galaxy – only to see past the fence into the next door neighbor’s kitchen window. Night after night I would diligently go out looking to identify different constellations – when in reality, I could see them much better without the telescope.

Time passed and that telescope was no longer of interest to me.

As many might know who are reading this, there is a family who lives next door, named the Matthews – there were three boys, all of which I grew up with and were considered family. I am perfectly comfortable admitting however, that this view of them being “brothers” was not always the case. Throughout the years of middle school and into the beginning of high school, it could be said that I would go in and out of crushes on the two older Matthews boys. Now this may be a complete surprise to them both – but I highly doubt it. From the time I was four and well into middle school, I was over at the Matthews often, but that started to dissipate as we started make different friends at school. As a result, I didn’t see them as often, but continued to be intrigued with what their social lives entailed (we all know how intriguing twelve and fourteen-year-old boys’ social lives are…not very).

This brings me to my vivid memory: a red telescope, a kitchen window and dishwashing.

There was one summer day in particular that I wanted to know where one of the Matthews boys was (to be honest I don’t remember which one). Being the sneaky twelve-year-old that I was, I wanted to “spy” on him and see if I could tell what was going on next door – since obviously he wasn’t around me! The layout of my backyard in relation to the Matthews’ didn’t lend itself to me looking through the fence unseen – they’d be able to see me coming the entire way from both their kitchen and dining room window. Plus, any movement made by anyone was immediately met with a bark from Molly – our dog, who made it a point to make as much noise as possible as she sat perched atop the deck in our backyard.

What was a girl to do? I could hear voices and activity – but couldn’t adequately see what was going on…I had to know what was going on! When the thought struck me…“the red telescope.” I rushed in and dusted off the telescope that had never seen the man in the moon but had clearly seen into the neighbor’s kitchen window...perfect. So there I was, cramped under the deck with the telescope situated just so, allowing me to finally peer over to the Matthews and see who this boy was with.

After several minutes of adjusting and clearing the lens, I was finally looking right into the Matthews’ house. “I knew this telescope was good for something” I thought to myself! There I was - ready to spy and get myself some juicy information on the boy next door. Just how juicy was it? Well, I could clearly see Mrs. Matthews washing the dishes - with Dove dishwashing soap to be exact – while scenes of Days of Our Lives flashed in the background. As juicy as that may have been…it certainly was not the “juicy” I was counting on.

And so, I come clean and admit my indulgence – one that has never been disclosed before. To the innocent bystander that ended up being spied on I have this to say:

Dear Mrs. Matthews,

You know how dearly I love you and your family; you have been so good to me all of these years. I must apologize for violating your sense of security by peering into your kitchen window with my red telescope. But, let’s be honest – I could have seen the same thing with my own eyes standing on our deck. The fact is, that telescope signified an interest in your boys – one that lives on today…but in a much, much, different way.

I no longer have a red telescope to stalk them…but not to worry, I have Facebook. Until I see you again – continue to peer into our backyard and we will continue to peer into yours.

Your “daughter,”

Valerie

p.s. scratch that, please always call me val.

4 comments:

  1. haha val you make me laugh - that story was too funny

    ReplyDelete
  2. =) At least you didn't catch Mrs. Matthews doing something way embarrassing. That would have been truly awkward! The real question is, do you still have the telescope?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love ALL your posts Val. Just letting you know I'm always reading and I love it.
    Have a fabulous summer!
    ;)Val

    ReplyDelete